How to Get Sponsored at a Conference
One of the questions I often get around conference time is “How do you get a sponsor?” This is not always an easy question to answer because there are many different things that need to take place. I am seeing less and less brands now doing outright sponsorship. You have to remember that BlogHer no longer will allow you to pass out things at the conference. Below are some helpful tips on how to approach a brand and what you may be able to offer them.
- Relationship: First start with a brand that you have an ongoing relationship with. It just makes more sense that they would want to work with you. Don’t fake it. You certainly don’t want to pitch a company that you have no interest in just to get a sponsorship. It just looks bad and people can smell that a mile away.
- Expectations: Go in with the mindset that even a partial sponsorship is great and that they may not have the budget for a full sponsorship.
- Work: Ask the brand if they are doing a booth at the expo hall, offer to take some time to work the booth in exchange for sponsorship.
- Consult: Offer consulting or blog posts in exchange for sponsorship.
- Ad Space: Offer to give your sponsor ad space on your blog.
- Party: Some brands offer private parties at BlogHer. Ask if you can help. You could be a hostess, door greeter, or even help work on the invite list.
- Brand It: Offer to wear their t-shirt or put their logo on your business card.
Remember that going to a conference is a huge investment in what you do. Why not just start saving now. Tell yourself, I’m going to set aside a certain amount of money out of each check I get from my blog. You’ll also be able to write it off on your taxes.