Facebook Updates Ads and Brand Pages
In a press event on February 29, Facebook made some pretty big updates to their Facebook Pages platform. Facebook Pages now have the new Timeline layout available to them. The changeover is coming much quicker than previous Facebook updates – Brands have until March 30, to move over the new Timeline or it will happen automatically. There’s a lot more to be excited about than just a large image at the top of your page, but there are few new rules to be aware of. Here’s the major changes to be aware of:
- New Admin. Dashboard. Post updates, respond to fans, and send private messages in an efficient new area
- No More Default Tabs. Those introductory graphic pages inviting new visitors to like your page are gone. All visitors, whether or not they have previously liked your page, will go directly to the Timeline.
- You CAN still like-gate a promotion, but the promotions will be more difficult to find. You only get 3 apps/tabs that appear above the fold. So you have to put some thought into what you’ll show there.
- No promotional messaging in your timeline cover photo. You can’t put your web address, or any contact information in the graphic. This includes “40% off!” or any other sale, or promotional message. You can’t reference other interface elements, like “Like our page” or “visit this tab” either. Basically, it’s all about your brand personality.
- Pin Posts to the top of your Timeline. This really useful new feature will allow you to keep important messages or promotions at the top of the page.
- Pages can now send a private message directly to a fan.
- All of the Timeline features from personal profiles are available - featured page-wide stories and graphics, apps, likes – they’re all there. This means your page can get cluttered quickly with customer service conversation, so it will probably be useful to move as much of that into the new prviate messages as possible to keep a clean timeline.
Facebook Pages weren’t the only new feature available to Brands from the annoucnements. Facebook’s Ad Platform received a major overhaul as well. There are ton of new tools for companies to play with to promote their content. The major new features are:
- New Premium Ads. This new ad format links directly to content on the brand page. You can promote posts, videos, etc.
- News Feed Ads. These ads show up directly in users’ newsfeed, but it only shows up to your fans, and their friends.
- Mobile ads. You can advertise inside the Facebook Mobile App now.
- Logout Ads. These are ads that specifically appear on the logout page, after a user has logged out.
- Offers. These special new posts to your Facebook page promote a special offer. Facebook promised it would reach 50% of your fans, instead of the 16% that normally see a typical Facebook post.
- Facebook is moving away from payment based on Click-Thru Rates. They view CTR as a poor tracker for ad effectiveness on Facebook…they are also no longer reporting CTR on ad metrics. The click-thru rates on Facebook ads are very low, compared to other display advertising. And despite their effectiveness, that perception diminishes the perceived value of the ads.
- Reach Generator: Facebook said that only 16% of your followers typically see a status update. This tool will repost your updates specifically targeting the other 84% of your fans who didn’t see your post the first time around.
While a few of the tools we’ve used to capture fans, especially around promotions and campaigns, are changing, overall, Facebook has shown its commitment to helping brands create truly engaging and valuable connections and relationships with their Facebook Friends. These new tools and ads offer exciting new ways to build relationships, and to promote our products and services to customers. You can find all of Facebook’s new features and rules in their Ads and Business Solutions Help Center.
Learn anything else that you’re excited about? Questions? Let us know in the comments below.