Avoid Conflict of Interests and Better Your Chances of Landing a Campaign
According to thefreedictionary.com a conflict of interest is “a situation in which a person has a duty to more than one person or organization, but cannot do justice to the actual or potentially adverse interests of both parties.”
Bloggers need to be mindful of potential conflicts of interest when working with companies and when signing up to participate in campaigns.
For example, when a blogger writes one day about the best place to get Halloween costumes and then the next day about another retailer that carries Halloween costumes, it is not only a conflict of interest, but confuses their readers because they are endorsing multiple companies for the same product. When the blogger discloses they received product or compensation in these instances, the reader is less likely to be influenced by the blogger because it looks as if they are only promoting the brands because they are being compensated in some way to do so.
As a blogger, when considering participating in a campaign with a brand begin by first asking yourself the following questions:
- Do I have a banner ad on my side bar that is in competition with the campaign I am signing up to participate in?
- Have I or do I plan on writing about a conflicting brand or retailer while participating in the campaign?
- Have I ever publicly been an advocate or ambassador for a competing product/brand/retailer?
If you answered “no” to the above questions, then it looks like there is no conflict of interest, you should now continue to ask yourself these questions:
- Do I really love the brand or retailer that I will be promoting if I sign up for this campaign?
- Would I be able to turn down an offer if I am approached to do a review or participate in a campaign with a conflicting brand or retailer?
- Does my niche fit with the product/brand/retailer and the activity I’m asked to complete?
- Have I written other posts in the niche the product/brand/retailer fits into?
If you answered “yes” to the above questions, then you are the perfect fit! Apply for the campaign and show them the star you are!
By asking yourself the above question before applying for campaigns, it will save precious time for you and the brand you are trying to work with and will also help you gain and keep trust with your readers.
Being true to yourself, the brands you work with, and your readers will only make you a better blogger, brand advocate and influencer.